Enhancing Sleep with 5-HTP

Enhancing Sleep with 5-HTP

Resource Type
Report or Study
Dr. Murphree has written several books on fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and other health issues. He runs a clinic in Alabama.
[fright]
Murphree, Roger. MD.jpg
[/fright]

From his website: Dr. Rodger Murphree is the founder and past clinic director for a large integrated medical practice located in Birmingham, Alabama. The practice was staffed with board-certified medical doctors, chiropractors, acupuncturists, and nutritionists who combined traditional and alternative medicine. The clinic provided cutting-edge treatments for acute and chronic illnesses.

He has specialized in difficult-to-treat patients for the last 10 years. He is a graduate of the University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB) and is a board certified chiropractic physician.

He maintains a busy practice focusing on fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, cardiovascular disease, mood disorders, and other difficult-to-treat illnesses. He consults with other physicians, lectures throughout the United States giving educational seminars to patients and healthcare professionals, is a regular columnist for numerous publications, and routinely appears on national radio broadcasts. Dr. Murphree’s books are available at most books stores, Amazon.com, or here on our online store.

Dr. Murphree's 5HTP and Sleep Restoration Protocol

I instruct my patients to take 50mg of 5HTP 30 minutes before bed on an empty stomach (90 minutes after or 30 minutes before eating), with 4 ounces of grape juice. I know 5HTP doesn't have to compete with other amino acids to cross the blood brain barrier, but this routine seems to heighten the effect of 5HTP.

One of three things will happen when taking 5HTP.

Starting with 50 mg. of 5HTP-

1. The patient falls asleep within 30 minutes and sleeps through the night. If so, they stay on this dose until their next scheduled visit with me (typically 2 weeks).

2. Nothing happens. This is typical response to such a low dose. The patient should add an additional 50 mg. each night (up to a max of 300 mg.) until they fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep through the night.

3. Instead of making the patient sleepy, the first dose makes them more alert. This occurs more often in CFS and chemical sensitivity patients who have a sluggish liver. If this happens, they're to discontinue taking 5HTP at bedtime and instead take 50 mg. with food for 1-2 days. Taking 5HTP with food seems to help slow down it's absorption, allowing the liver to process it more effectively. Taking 5HTP with food will not (usually) make you sleepy.

After 1-2 days on 5HTP with no further problems, they should increase to 100 mg. of 5HTP with each meal (300mg a day).[/fright]
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY