Hospital Bag - planning for emergency

San Diego

A friend was recently hospitalized rather suddenly. Watching that experience made me realize how vulnerable I am, especially since I live alone.

If I were to be rushed to the hospital, or have to leave my home suddenly for any other reason, I’d be in trouble. All this makes me think I need a “bug-out bag” prepared for emergencies.

What would you put in your bag? Here’s my start:

1. Extra medications (a week’s worth?) in pill sorters. Pictures of pill bottles on my phone.
2. Cell phone charger
3. Emergency contact list
4. Extra key to my home
5. Small fan for white noise

Ideas? Suggestions?

Who Me?

Good idea but..... If you are unconscious how do you tell them to get your bag? If you aren't home when it happens?

Phone changer needs the wall adapter.

I have an app that I use to sleep that has tons of sounds. So no fan necessary.

Contacts are on my phone. Spare key in my purse.

I have the lite version of this app. The paid app didn't have much more I could use

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 366

Who Me?

Oh I did just talk to a neighbor about giving her a key. Or finding a place to stash it outside where I won't worry about someone getting it.

San Diego

Good idea but..... If you are unconscious how do you tell them to get your bag? If you aren't home when it happens?
You’re right. I’ve thought about that. I’m thinking that it would be easier to then send someone to my home with my key and tell them to grab the bag. Otherwise, it’d be a nightmare, as in : go to my bedside table. Get x, y, and z. In my kitchen cabinet, third from the left on the bottom shelf, get a, b, c and d. Then go to my ......... yada yada yada.

I’m liking the cell app idea. Thanks.

IrisRV

Great idea, San Diego!

I'm definitely putting a phone charger cable and wall adapter in my bug-out bag. That was one of the worst things -- realizing I might not be able to contact people if my phone ran out of charge -- which it almost did. :nailbiting:

My hospital wouldn't let me take pills from a bill case -- they had to be in pharmacy bottles with current dosage instructions. I'm going to permanently store my critical meds in my bug-out bag from now on.

I was knocked flat when I called my pet sitter and found she was heading out of town just when I was in the hospital. I needed a back-up I didn't have.

I can't live without my audiobooks for entertainment and background sound. Other people will probably need other noise generators to block out hospital noises.

My bug-out bag-to-be:
  • phone charger cable and adapter
  • paper emergency contacts list (so other people can get at it if I'm not able)
  • basic instructions for pet care including contact info for pet sitters
  • critical meds in pharmacy bottles
  • extra keys to house and car
  • earphones
  • access to audiobooks (spare old ipod with charger)
  • toothbrush and paste (horrifying what they charge if you use the hospital ones)
  • contacts case and small bottle of solution
  • change of underwear
  • warm socks/bed socks
  • small amount of cash (for taxi, etc) in case my purse doesn't make it to the hospital with me
What have I forgotten?

The next question is where to keep the bug-out bag to increase the odds of it getting to the hospital with me? There are pros and cons with all the options I can think of. Thoughts?
  • in the car (so it's with me if I'm out when the emergency occurs)
  • in the garage (so I can give someone the garage code and they could get the bag without going in the house)
  • just inside the house/garage door (so I can easily grab it and the meds won't get too hot or too cold)

Who Me?

Not will @Empty . You want your DNR if you have it and the docs about who makes medical decisions if you are incapacitated. I can't remember what it is called.

Advanced directive. Should be on file with your PCP.

IrisRV

Not will @Empty . You want your DNR if you have it and the docs about who makes medical decisions if you are incapacitated. I can't remember what it is called.
Living will?

Good idea. I didn't think about that because they're on file with my usual hospital, but what if I wasn't at my usual hospital?

If having access to a will is important, perhaps it's better to have your lawyer's name (or whoever is holding your will) on the contacts list.

Who Me?

I don't think a regular will has anything to do with this since it's about assets after you are dead.

I think a living will or advanced directive are essentially the same. Who do they call to make medical decisions if you are not able to. Power of attorney for healthcare I think is another name.

Also on your phone. Put ICE next to the name of that person. In Case of Emergency.

Who Me?

On my phone I go to contacts. Then edit it and next to the name put ICE

So IrisRV - ICE

or make a new contact ICE.

IrisRV

On my phone I go to contacts. Then edit it and next to the name put ICE

So IrisRV - ICE

or make a new contact ICE.
Can someone get in and find contacts coded ICE if they don't have the security code for your phone?

San Diego

My hospital wouldn't let me take pills from a bill case -- they had to be in pharmacy bottles with current dosage instructions. I'm going to permanently store my critical meds in my bug-out bag from now on.
Really good to know. I had a feeling I’d have to smuggle in, but original pill bottles is the safe bet. Thanks.
Can someone get in and find contacts coded ICE if they don't have the security code for your phone?
They can if it’s an iPhone. Mine is locked with a passcode, but at the bottom of the passcode screen is a link called “Emergency”. If they know to click on that, all my medical info and ICE stuff is there.

IrisRV

They can if it’s an iPhone. Mine is locked with a passcode, but at the bottom of the passcode screen is a link called “Emergency”. If they know to click on that, all my medical info and ICE stuff is there.
I have a Droid which doesn't appear to have that feature. :( I'll have to visit with Dr Google as @Who Me? suggested

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources