Source of the Story
Provided to Health Rising
Resource Type
Patient Story
Name
Dr. Mathew Robinson
Diagnosis
  1. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  2. POTS (Postural Tachycardia Orthostatic Syndrome)
  3. Long COVID
Disease Course Over Time
I was infected with COVID in February 2020 and was incredibly sick for one month. After getting through the initial infection, my “Long-COVID” symptoms began about a month later, in April 2020. It started with sporadic dizziness that eventually became chronic, unrelenting dizziness that was present always, for 4 years.

Then, fatigue set in a few months later, along with post-exertional malaise (these would become my most problematic symptoms over time), and brain fog started about a year into my illness. Triggers included screen time, sun exposure, heat, and any physical or cognitive exertion.

I was bed-bound about 20-22 hours a day but still managed to work for all but 4 months as a University professor.
Type of Onset
acute flu-like
Duration
2-5 years
Functionality at it's Worst
Mostly bedbound
Symptoms
chronic dizziness, fatigue, post-exertional malaise, brain fog, upset stomach, lower back pain
Treatments That Made A Big Difference
Midodrine, low dose Abilify, and low dose naltrexone reduced my symptoms by 80 percent over 2 years. Ultimately, 3 months of hyperbaric oxygen therapy made me all the way better
Treatments That Had No Effect
acupuncture, diclofenac, Verapamil, prednisone, nortriptyline, gabapentin, ivermectin,
Treatments That Made You Worse
clonazepam, meclizine, oxalacetate
Present State of Health
  1. Fully recovered - no restrictions at all
Practitioner Associated With Recovery
Bateman Horne Center / Aviv Clinic
Words of Advice
Never give up. For years, I thought recovery would be impossible and that I would never get better. I also thought my illnesses would kill me, that I would pass in my sleep and be found dead in my bed. But I never gave up hope that something would eventually work, and I kept seeking out help from as many experts and doctors as I could. I slowly got better through medicines at Bateman Horne Clinic but then had a major relapse which lasted more than a month. That is when I found Aviv Clinics and 3 months of treatment there completely healed me. I got better because I never gave up!
Suggested Resources
A PhD gets knocked down by long COVID but finds his way back.
Reactions: Aidan Walsh
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

New Threads

Forum Tips