". . . I usually just shake it off."

Gobi

Years ago, if someone would say, "You look a little under the weather today," I would reply, "Yeah, I've got chronic fatigue syndrome." And, almost invariably, they would say, "Yeah, whenever I feel that way, I usually just shake it off." And I soon decided to stop saying, "Yeah, I've got chronic fatigue syndrome," (At least 10 years ago, Keith Jarrett announced that he had fibromyalgia, but when a celebrity says something like that, people seem to accept it.)

The answer to whether you should accept or deny the existence of your condition of CFS, depends on what you mean. One can accept their CFS and then "move productively on," looking for countermeasures. And one can deny it if it means that they will not let it take control of their life, fighting it, not necessarily every step of the way, but fighting it in a productive way.

Last edited:

Frangipani

Or "you should get more sleep". Gotta love that one. ;-) I've started saying that I have fibromyalgia and omitting all the other stuff because a lot more people are aware of it and know someone who has it. Definitely more so than 20 years ago.

Gobi

Or "you should get more sleep". Gotta love that one. ;-)
You could take that too seriously. In "When You're Sick and Don't Know Why", Linda Hanner explains that while her "friends" could doubt her remarks, she herself began to doubt whether her own doctors would believe her.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

New Threads

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources